Saturday, November 24, 2007

#24 - Copeland - Sleep

#24 - Copeland - Sleep

One of 3 Copeland songs on the top 30, this represents the first entry. Copeland are a band I admire highly; Aaron Marsh's voice is angelic, fragile, soft, falsetto-driven, and just downright amazing. This song starts with a catchy piano loop intro, and the vocals come in, and a few bars later soft drumming comes in. After the first verse and soft chorus, the bassy interlude that leads into the stronger second verse is wonderful.
It's a well-produced song, and all the instruments are in the right proportion to the others. It's a joy to listen to.

I don't know how I came upon Copeland. I think I'd heard of them through their touring with another band I like, but didn't actually check them out. That is, until David Goode recommended them. I soon went to their purevolume profile, and listened to the 6 songs that were there over and over and over. I would let them run into each other and then repeat the sequence. I shared many emotions with them while listening online.

I bought their cds slowly but surely, as their supply in Australia was horribly low, but can say I've got every single one of their cds. Their most recent effort 'Eat, Sleep, Repeat' had a lot of songs in the top list of about 85 songs which I whittled down to the 85 we have here. And so does In Motion, where this song is from.

When I saw them live, this song really didn't disappoint. I just stood there watching them enjoying playing, while enjoying listening to the produce of their labour. I got to meet 3/4 of the band, and can safely say that they're great people.

Their new cd, a b-sides and exclusive acoustics album 'Dressed Up and In Line' just came out. I hope to get it as soon as it enters Australian shores.

Go to their Myspace now!
---

In other news, my brother Matthew, the Mexican Waver, has started up a charity-search engine, where the profits go towards Christian missionaries. I don't know enough about it to say how it works, but here's the link:
www.search316.org
---

Ben

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

top song, top top song.