Friday, September 14, 2007

As Cities Burn - Bloodsucker Pt 2

As Cities Burn - Bloodsucker Pt 2

I first heard this song after downloading the (free and legal) SolidState Sampler from purevolume.com, and didn't like it that much, in fact, most of that sampler i really don't like and wouldn't choose to listen to.
however, there was something about this that was really hooky, that kept me coming back for more. it wasn't the whiny vocals, i didn't like them much, but after a few listens i started to really get into the 2 very different styles of singing, and the constant barrage of singing/screaming. This song really doesn't let up, there's barely a moment that isn't filled by voice, constant overlapping.

Then I really started listening to the lyrics:
"And I swear, I swear not to scream at my becoming part of the machine."
"And no one wins against the machine, so get back, get back in line."
"Well, it's yours, you can have it if it means that much to you, don't let me stop you (now)"
"Are you the man now, that you got what you wanted? are you the man now, that you got it?"
"Turn me into someone else, someone more like yourself."

I don't know the meaning of the lyrics from the writers perspective, but I take it as an call to break free of the pressure of the 'machine', or the 'man', and to truly aim to be myself. It also makes me think of when I have been that part of a machine and have wanted people to change to how I want them to be, which is inconsistent with what I believe about God and church.
As Cities Burn are an interesting band, im thinking of getting their new cd 'Come Now, Sleep' but I'm not sure if i'd get the album that this song is on, but that's pointless information really. Their lyrics deal with a christian's perspective on various issues, something that is always a drawcard.

To prove my point about statistics, this song is ranked #133 out of 399 rankings on last fm. it's #195 out of 1,087 songs in my itunes. This isn't accurate, I can assure you of that.
Well, thats the first post done!
Any feedback or suggestions would be nice :)
love from me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So dave has inspired you eh? I know I've considered doing the same thing. I guess he's just a very inspirational chap.

Now as for your blog, switch to Wordpress. I mean, honestly :P