Saturday, September 15, 2007

Stereophonics – Pick A Part That’s New

Stereophonics – Pick A Part That’s New

This is an absolute trip down memory lane. I think only my brothers Mat and Pete will recognise this song as being part of my life. I first saw the video clip at home when I was 13, and was immediately hooked, but I only saw the second half of the clip so I didn't get to see the actual title of the song, which is quite annoying obviously. It was kinda a re-do of the classic Italian Job (from the 60s(?)) and I was pretty impressed. But anyway it was lost to me, for the time being, with me only remembering the catchy chorus line 'you can do all the things that you like to do, all around, underground, pick a part thats new'.
Fast forward a few months, I'm on the plane with my family going to the UK for a few months. I'm listening to the on-board 'radio', which is really just a cd mix, that loops over and over for the duration of the flight. So I'm listening away and I hear 'you can do all the things that you like to do, all around, underground, pick a part thats new'. Needless to say, it piqued my curiosity. I madly flick through the airplane magazine that has a track listing for the cd. I look down the list, which one could it be? It all becomes obvious when I catch the title. Who are these Stereophonics people? So I listen intently, listening to the whole cd over and over again to try and catch the song as it rolls around on the loop.
But, another problem arises. I'm going overseas for a few months, with close to no internet connection so I can't download it (that's how I did it back in the days). So it almost becomes lost again, apart from the fact that it's running through my head for the duration of the trip. By the time I got home approximately 3 months later, it was a given that this song would be chosen from among the many songs in the world for download. That's right, I downloaded it, shock, horror.
I listened to this song a lot, and by that, I mean lots. But this is the age before music statistics became a thing of importance, so I can't tell you how much I listened to it. I never actually got a legal copy of this song, it makes me tempted to grab it off iTunes. It'll be a good soundtrack for summer I say.
Stereophonics are a 3 piece from Wales, I enjoy the singers voice from other songs I've heard but it does get grating after a while, another strong song written by the trio would be Dakota. Love singing it on that playstation karaoke game.

So there we have it, the second entry in the 30-25 category.

From Benjamin

P.S. I bought 2 cds yesterday - Dashboard Confessional - Swiss Army Romance (from 2000, Chris Carrabba makes a big dent on these charts, you'll see why later (unless you already know!)), and New Buffalo - Somewhere, Anywhere. Both good, quite relaxing cds.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

They performed it at the Rugby World Cup final remember? In Wales?

Special stuff bruv

Oh and nice work for spelling 'piqued' correctly. So rare in the interweb

PS. Blogspot sucks bro I don't know why you went with them

Anonymous said...

Trying to comment but was unsuccessful last time.

Tell us some lyrics from the Christian band you mentioned.

dad

Benjamin said...

Hey dad,
here are some lyrics from the song 'Empire':

i had an angel's smile
hiding a vulture's bite
i had no use for your redeeming blood

aren't i glory, glorious

glory, glorious
aren't we glory, glorious
aren't we worthy, worthy of hearts at our feet

i was a pharisee
i never saw my need for grace
then your love came to me
stood next to mine and i saw that i was poor
---

These ones are more obvious about their content, more about the christian life rather than a position. anyway.

The next lyrics are from the song 'This Is It, This Is It':

we've got prices on our heads
and millstones around our necks
we try to live forgiven but they won't let us forget
the bodies we're still in
the bodies that we still war against

son, this is it, this is it
you're gonna sink for your sins
unless grace be the wind

---
my take on those lyrics are that the world sees christians as having blood on our hands for the wrongs we've committed throughout history, and that we'd still be condemned if it wasn't for grace.