Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Jars of Clay - River Constantine

Jars of Clay - River Constantine

This song is a calming, still, reflective song. Jars of Clay have drawn upon a large number of different influences in their time as a band, and this song is one of their better ones. River Constantine is from the album 'If I Left The Zoo', which was released in 1999, which makes it about as old as the Stereophonics song in the previous countdown post, and marks the last of the pre-millenial tunes.

I've listened to this song countless times before going to bed at night, or whenever I feel like putting something quiet on.
I'm not sure what Constantine refers to in this song, however the meaning I attach to this song is from the POV of me, to God.
'Carry me, Your love is wider than my need could ever be.' is the first line of the song and is probably my favourite lyric from the song, equal to the chorus line 'Pour out, come down on me.'

I think when I got this album I was more into the faster songs 'Collide', 'Unforgetful You', but in time I think the slower songs are much more memorable: 'No One Loves Me Like You', power ballad 'Famous Last Words', and 'Hand'. But obviously, nothing has ever hit the spot from this album as much as 'River Constantine'.

No comments: